A Centre of Excellence in weather and climate related services
To provide services pertaining to Meteorology, Aeronautical Meteorology, Ocean Meteorology, Hydro Meteorology, Agricultural Meteorology, Climatology and Astronomy to government agencies, private sector and the general public in keeping with national interest and international standards.
- The objectives of the Department are
- To observe and collate weather elements in conformity with the World Meteorological Organization (WMO) standards, and maintenance of climatological databases.
- To provide weather and climatological services as the national authority.
- To issue early warnings and advisories on weather related events and Tsunami.
- To provide meteorological services to national and international aviation in accordance with the technical regulations stipulated by World Meteorological Organization (WMO) and International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO).
- To encourage study and research in meteorology, climatology, climate change and allied subjects, and to organize and contribute to public awareness programmes in these thematic areas.
- To provide limited astronomical and terrestrial magnetism related services.
Services Provided by the Department
- Provision of meteorological and climatological services to general public and to agriculture, energy, fishery, shipping, insurance and other interested sectors.
- Provision of warnings and advisories on bad weather (including Cyclone, Heavy rain, Lightning, High wind …etc) and Tsunami.
- Provision of aviation meteorological services
- Maintenance of climatological databases
- Provision of meteorological and climatological services and data for national development and research purposes.
- Encourage study and research in meteorology, climatology, climate change and allied subjects
- Organize and contribute to, public awareness programmes on weather, climate and climate change thematic areas.
- Organize and contribute to, educational and training programs and workshops for interested groups including school children, policy and decision makers, on mandated thematic areas.
- Contribute to exhibitions with exhibits and resource personnel.
- Provision of specialized meteorological and climatological services on request.
- rovision of limited astronomical (sun, moon, planet and tidal) and terrestrial magnetism related services.